Thursday, February 3, 2011

Art Essay #1


Georgia O'Keefe "Flowers of Fire"

I chose this piece because it reflects one of the roles of art in daily life. This painting is of a relatively ordinary object, a flower, magnified enormously. The concept is very simple, but that is what gives the painting its significance. In my opinion, one of the roles of art is to examine not only the spectacular parts of life but to demonstrate the significance of the ordinary things that are often overlooked.

Georgia O'Keefe claimed that she made her paintings very large in hopes of catching the attention of busy city dwellers. This particular painting depicts a large flower but also echoes a fire. The center of the flower resembles the blazing heart of a fire with tendrils of blue and white smoke curling upward. The yellow and red petals mimic flickering flames. The curling petals draw the eye toward the white center of the painting. The vivid colors and energy suggest movement and energy. These components combine to grab the viewer almost forcing them to stop and look.

One of the most important roles of the artist is to draw those who see their art to see another perspective and gain new ideas about their own lives. A work like this celebrates the importance and drama of simple things seen on a daily basis. Who hasn't walked by scarlet flowers? How many people can honestly say that they have never looked at a flame? But how many have compared the interior of a blossom with a living blaze? Who looks at the blue streaks along the inside of a flower and sees smoke? That is one of the most important parts of being an artist, the capacity to see the marvelous within the mundane and to show this beauty to others.

The greatness of this painting is not only in the idea that inspired it but also in how it was captured for viewing. Georgia O'Keefe used technical skill to transfer her vision to the tangible world. She took her vision and packaged it in art for the public to consume. Packaging ideas and presenting them in a manner that can be understood is one of the great powers of art. The metaphors created by the artist work their way into the viewer. I saw this painting dozens of times on my bedroom wall before I realized that it was echoing fire. I had admired the colors, and wondered why she used dark violet where she did. Finally, I saw it as a flower made of fire and the the violet was curling smoke. Now, I cannot see it without thinking of a flame. The idea of blazing flowers is hard to lose and I wonder if by April I will look at a bed of tulips and find myself thinking of smoke.

-Laurel Powell

3 comments:

  1. This painting is absolutely beautiful! I really enjoyed your comment about artists being able to find the marvelous in the mundane. It is very true; that flower is marvelous! Georgia O'Keefe is very talented, is she not?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost chose this painting for my analysis as well. It is wonderfully captivating, and I agree with Collette, she is a very talented artist. This is one of her more abstract pieces, and there are definitely multiple interpretations. I understand where you see the fire imagery, but many have also claimed to see a much more feminine image. It has been widely debated whether or not this was O'Keeffe's intention, but it is a seemingly recurring image in much of her art, including "Grey Line with Black, Blue, and Yellow" and "Oriental Poppies." This interpretation is definitely controversial, but that's the wonderful power of art.

    ReplyDelete
  3. O'Keefe is a real modernist -- she helps us to "make it new" (Ezra Pound). You are right on target about her idea of yanking our perspective out of its customary ways. And I love the way she is trying to somehow "save" city dwellers.

    The flower is actually too abstracted for me to consider it one of my favorites (though the colors are still wonderful). I have a copy of her painting of jimson weeds at my home; I gave it to my wife as a remembrace of nightime walks we used to take in Austin, TX that went by a wildly blooming jimson bush and its incredible perfume. (They only bloom at night and the flower lasts only one night.)

    ReplyDelete